From:
Simon DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:53:43 -0400
Some of our general rules/guidelines are as follow:

User's are only responsible for keeping/cataloging the E-mails they sent
(Internal & External) and the E-mails they receive from outside the
agency (External only) which were created in connection with the
transaction of official business.
- This limits the users responsibilities, identifies the E-mail Record
Copy and minimizes the risk of having multiple copies of the same E-mail
kept/cataloged into the system

User's are only required to keep/catalog the last E-mail and all E-mails
with attachment(s) in a chain of E-mails.
- Again this is to minimize the risk of multiplication, without the loss
of any E-mail attachments.

All Transitory Messages (Records that are created primarily for the
communication of information, as opposed to communications designed for
the perpetuation of knowledge; Examples of Transitory Messages are: My
Phone number is 555.555.5555 or Meeting reminders) and Personal Messages
(Examples are: Discussion over lunch, out of work activities,
professional association correspondence or Health issues) can & should
be removed from you E-mail Account.
- This minimizes the risk of Junk E-mails being kept/cataloged into the
system and encourages the users to clear out their E-mail Accounts

No user should write anything in an E-mail that they would not write on
any other type of communication (Letter, Fax, etc..).
- This is a important point to be made during any training session. Too
often we hear about inappropriate E-mails hurting a Company or Agency.

_____________________________

We catalog E-mails into our EDRMS (TRIM Context), but for the purpose of
making the rules/guidelines a little more universal I changed the
language from simply "cataloged" to "kept/cataloged."

Furthermore I have the following recommendations:

I would disallow the use of fancy colorful backgrounds. The Extra
Storage requirement for one E-mail is not that much, but multiple that
by the thousands of E-mails the user will send out with the background.

I would work with IT on the setup of a "Public FTP Site" (Anybody
internally can add/view files and anybody externally can view files) and
a "Restricted FTP Site" (User Id & Password gets provided by a
administrator to give access to specific part of the restricted FTP
site.)

Limit incoming E-mails to a total of 5 MB

Have IT run a list of the E-mail Accounts with the current storage
requirements. With that information you can pinpoint who needs to be
encouraged to go through there E-mails and delete the ones that are
Junk, Personal or just not there responsibility to keep. With that
information you can also find out who is deleting simply all E-mails and
needs to be encouraged to keep the E-mails that were created in
connection with the transaction of official business.

Final comment: I recommend you to go with a User based E-mail Management
solution, if you go down the road of wanting to implement E-mail
Management solution. Server based solutions are not Records Management
solutions. They are quick solutions to the problem of archiving and
recovery, but provide no real Lifecycle Management.

MY 1 Cent (Sorry didn't have 2 to give)

Simon T. De Witt
Records Information Analyst
Tampa Bay Water