From:
"Piotrowski, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:14:35 -0400
We started a systematic program to reduce our dependency on outlook 3
months ago.

We have a multifaceted approach which includes:
1. Implementation of DMS (Livelink) with discussion space - encourage
use of discussion space over email
2. Remind the users that email is temporary space for business
information - most users are responsible for receiving email. We ask
them not have jokes, movies, and other non-business email sent to their
company address. We are understanding with family emails and the like.
We also allow our workforce to use the www (as long as it doesn't
interfere with work or it is ok with their manager) and they can use
yahoo or other service for their personal email.
3. IT reduced storage space and instituted and auto purge after x days
4. turn off archives
5. monthly report of individual "Total outlook items" and "Total MB
size" reports, distributed to all leaders (we only have 550 employees)
6. IT and RM staff assistance to assist the "biggest" users to stop the
madness...

As y'all well know, this alone cannot defeat the addiction to outlook as
a communication tool, archive and task management system (that is,
people work in reaction to their latest email), but it is a start.

Chuck Piotrowski
CVPS
www.cvps.com
This computer runs on Cow Power!