From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2007 13:18:42 -0400
Post to Records Management Listserve:

I saw this article on the Data Center Journal and thought this might
have wider interest.
For everyone who has a records center or large office that has a
sprinkler system, the sprinkler system is often powered by a diesel
pumps that pumps the water to the various heads calling for water.
After all you can not power an entire sprinkler system with tap water
pressure.

But what if that pump that is powered by fuel oil would not run due
to contaminated fuel or maybe it fails because its electronics brain
is corroded by years of sitting in a non-conditioned space.

Take a look at this article:

Poor Fuel Quality: Cause of Generator Failure
If your data center’s standby power source is a diesel generator,
the odds are one in eight that the fuel that’s supposed to operate
the engine fails to meet oil-refinery specifications. Furthermore, if
the fuel has been stored at your data center for more than three
months, there’s a 50-50 chance that the fuel is seriously
contaminated with water or algae, posing a threat to the generator as
well as to essential functions that are supposed to be protected by
the engine during an emergency.
Read more...

In certain large fires, the sprinkler systems failed to perform.  Add
this to your list of responsibilities.  Ask facilities to run a fuel
quality check, ask them to run a mock simulation of the system being
activated by a sprinkler head.

HERE ARE THE KEY QUOTES:

> In fact, diesel fuel begins to deteriorate as soon as it is
> produced—a problem that poses no real threat if the fuel is
> consumed quickly. However, such fuel may be stored for years in a
> standby power system; such deterioration affects the fuel’s
> pumpability and combustibility as well as the degree of damage that
> it could cause to the engine.

> Water is heavier than diesel fuel and will separate from it if the
> storage container remains relatively undisturbed for a period of
> time—in an end-user’s bulk-storage tanks, for example.
> Furthermore, the less frequently the fuel is used (an in standby
> applications), the more likely water will separate and cause damage.

> For example, when water comes in contact with the heat of the
> combustion chamber (more than 2,000 degrees F), it immediately
> turns to steam and often explodes the tip of the injector.

The article talked about the generator as it is a data center
publication, but this same diesel fuel problem is applicable for the
pumps that run sprinkler systems as well.

Imagine how smart you will look if you ask for a check on the fuel
quality and they find the fuel for your location is contaminated.
Now place a call to your offsite records center vendor and aks for
this same report on fuel quality. If we all do this, we can avert
losses of up to 500,000 boxes per year.  (That is the average of
losses over the last 10 years if you add up all the boxes burned in
records center fires and calculate an average.)

A disturbing trend where a few companies are buying everyone else up
is creating a national emergency. In 1997 the average volume of
records storage boxes in a individual records center was far less
than 250,000 boxes.  With the surge in acquisitions, the industry is
moving towards a position where the model is 1,200,000 to 1,800,000
boxes per warehouse with no compartmentation.  America's corporate
records for its largest companies is at risk.

Checking the fuel quality and the compartment size that your records
are stored in is a remarkably smart thing to do.

If your records center was recently acquired, demand that the records
stay where they are or be stored in a compartment of reasonable size.

The same is true for your media storage.  Is it stored in a warehouse
with water sprinkler coverage or in vault?  Is the vault equipped
with a clean agent fire suppression system?

In Houston, a rather large client of ours for media vaulting needed
to pull some microfilm from their offsite records storage company.
They visited the facility to enter their climate controlled room only
to find that is was not being air conditioned?????  They were paying
for this feature!

The company decided that air conditioning was to expensive and just
quit doing it.  The client is now looking at building a vault for
their microfilm.  But this is unbelievable.

If you do not perform your role of auditing you offsite storage
company on a periodic basis then I think you are responsible as well.
So here are three simple things. 1) Check you oil for your diesel
pumps 2) Check that your offsite storage company has checked their
oil 3) Ask for mock tests to see if everything works as required and
finally 4) You should inspect to see that your computer media,
microfilm and other documents specified for climate control ( on site
or off site are actually meeting their specification) that you were
promised.

After all, SOX and Rule 26 and ESI make your C-Level officers and
Board of Directors criminally liable if there is a loss by
spoliation. Since NFPA 232 makes the records manager "The Responsible
Party" I believe we will be seeing a Records Manager go to prison in
the next five years.  The new laws make anyone who is culpable for
the protection of records liable.

In the past not performing these tasks was just poor management.
Today this same failure to behave responsibly could be construed as
criminal behavior.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the
sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any
unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part
is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to
change. Banc Technic Inc. dba FIRELOCK shall not be liable for the
improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. FIRELOCK does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free
of viruses, interceptions or interference.