From:
Angel Ramos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 14:26:06 -0400
Lijuan,
Following up on Rick WOLF and Mary HILLIARD's comments on worst case
scenario metrics and ferreting out allies, perhaps you can have your
company or depts. buy into Records Management issues, for example, by
personally taking responsibility for discoveries, audits, Sarbanes-Oxley
requests.  Once they see the cost of not having a strong RM program, you
may enter the spotlight, especially if you are in a heavily regulated
industry.  As a result, your budget could grow provided you find someone
in your organization who can assume a RM champion role.  Failure to find
such a champion in upper management in any dept. may stunt your RM
program.

ARMA has some articles on the subject:

"Marketing Your RIM Programs"
https://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=1394

"Dynamic Office Politics: Powering Up for Program Success!"
https://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=1351

Following up on Dwight D. WALLIS's comments, I agree that
customer-centric work will lead to more work.  Try to respond quickly.
If you cannot completely fill customer requests, explain why and include
next steps.  Think of yourself as a warehouse of corporate information.
If your company does not allow you to send out mass communications
promoting RM awareness, include links to your RM site, records retention
schedule, archival forms, etc. in your email signature block.

I agree with Maureen CUSACK and John ANNUZIELLO, there are many career
opportunities in RM.  I've been promoted once already in my meager year
and a half in the field after moving from a downsized Marketing Dept.

Angel Ramos
Records Analyst