Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 12:57:47 -0700
As promised I am posting the results of the survey on Retention of Personnel
Files on termination of employment.

I believe you will be realllllllly surprised at the results.  While the
survey was directed to the PRIVATE sector, I received some replies from the
PUBLIC section.

I cut and pasted the outcome into a word document and have posted it on my
BLOG that you can reach by clicking the URL below:

http://askthecrm.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately, I use the free surveymonkey that limits some of the reports
capability so I apologize upfront for the look of the report.

I will however, spend some time over the next week reviewing the laws cited
and extract what I think are appropriate and post it to the listserv.

Remember ... some of the retention periods may be high because of other
records in the files (medical for one).

I have also come to really appreciate the State of Washington's staff in the
records and archives section of the Secretary of State's office for their
development and management of the GENERAL RECORDS RETENTION SCHEDULE FOR
AGENCIES OF WASHINGTON STATE GOVERNMENT that can be viewed at
http://www.secstate.wa.gov/archives/gs.aspx#local .

Here's the retention information for Local Government Agencies::

55

PERSONNEL FILE - May include but is not limited to:  Application for
employment when hired; start of employment, identification, oaths of
officials elected and appointed; bonds of officials elected and appointed;
criminal history, background checks and investigations; records of
employment status, position description and job classification; citations;
letters of recommendation; personal history cards, raises; retirement or
disability resulting in employment termination; evaluation of applications
of recognition or non-college credit courses.  ESSENTIAL RECORD - needs
security backup - see Remarks.  Series revised - combined with Employee
History Files and changed wording in Description - 06/03.  Series revised -
removed evaluation reports of job performance to create a new series - 12/03

OFM

Termination plus 6 years- See remarks

Destroy when obsolete or superseded

GS50-04B-06

Retention may be subject to restrictions provided by collective bargaining
contracts and agreements.  This record should be protected from damage or
loss by off-site storage of a security copy, or by keeping a list that
identifies the location of other copies inside and outside the agency.

I'm going to assume they have researched the legal requirements of federal
and the state laws prior to publishing since all government agencies (local
and state) are required to follow it per the Washington Administrative Code
(WAC).

I want to again thank everyone for their participation in the survey.  I
definitely opened my eyes.

I hope that all of you that are heading for or are currently enjoying the
pre-conference festivities in Baltimore have a great conference and make to
keep Peter K's glass full.

Bob Dalton, CRM

Dalton Consulting