From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:14:20 -0700

> My recollection of large fires in records centers, by progression, in
> the last decade run to the following:
>
> Recall (Brambles) in Illinois
> Iron Mountain in New Jersey (3 sites on three days)
> Diversified Records in Pennsylvania
> Richards & Richards (This was actually fairly small due to their
> design and quick management action.)
> 9/11 as there were several records repositories within the site.

?? Large Records Center in Lyon, France(Could our French members
> provide the names)

This was INTRADIS

Iron Mountain in Ottawa, Canada
> Iron Mountain Fire in London, UK
> NARA has had several fires, varying sizes

One was in Suitland, MD

Archive America in Florida

GRM in Florida just recently

Can anyone add any records center fires of large scale that I have
> missed?

What about the AMERICOLD underground fire that burned for months?  That was
a location that was storing records in a mixed occupancy setting.

What about floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes???

Have any corporate records centers burned?

> I am compiling records along with fire reports to determine what can
> be done to limit destruction.  Clearly arson has proved unstoppable.
> Or so they say!

Curious though as NFPA232 says it is the record center's responsibility to
prevent against arson, even in the new revision.

But a familiarity with every fire would be of value.

> Hopefully, between the clients, other operators, ARMA Chapter and Region
folks, and risk managers/insurers a decent list can be compiled.  I agree it
would be an asset to developing plans to avoid such events in the future by
having a lessons learned paper available.

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA