From:
John Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:56:48 -0800
How long the bank retains trades, for example, is completely different to how often it must backup the trading database to perform a system recovery.

  A backup schedule is based on system recovery requirements.  For example, in a high volume trading system with a requirement to recover in no more than 1 hour, you may need to take a backup 3 times a day.  Or, in a low volume system with a requirement to recover in no more than 1 hour, you may be able to take a backup once a week.

  A retention schedule is based on legal or regulatory requirements.  For example, because the bank is required to keep tax records for 7 years, then the procedure to remove tax records that are older than 7 years is specified in a retention schedule.

  John Lipinski
  512-241-7381
  NEON Enterprise Software
  www.neonesoft.com

Donna Grove <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  What is the difference between a Retention Schedule and a Back up Schedule
for electronic records/email?

An IT Executive in our company is convinced that they are the same.

Although I am convinced that they are different I could use assistance in
convincing IT.

John Lipinski
Ofc:  512.219.9804
Cell: 512.785.9648