From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:06:44 -0500
On Jan 10, 2008 3:46 PM, Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So here's my question ... Are file plans the only way to go or do many
> companies manage records just fine without a formal file plan? Are file
> plans "old school"? For those that have them and have more than one
> location, do you have one single structure for the whole company or a
> separate file plan for each location? Pros and cons of each approach?

well lets look at it this way

"Is a chart of accounts necessary?" IIRC Shell Oil at one time had a
universal file plan that was the same in each location around the world. As
employees were transferred from one location to another they would find the
same file plan in the new location. The US military I believe has uniform
filing plans.

Another way to think of a file plan is like a library cataloging system.  A
book might get cataloged differently from one library to another (and this
is diminishing with OCLC), but you always know what section cooking is in or
history or travel

yes a file plan may seem 'old school' but look at it from the FRCP point of
view also, you have to know where your information is.

well enuff of the analogies
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va