From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:51:16 -0500
On Jan 22, 2008 5:51 PM, Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Steve and Ginny are correct; that said, I respectfully request that
> requests
> for that discussion be directed to the numerous instances of same in the
> list archives - as I did in my initial response.
>
> Certification != certificate. Details: check the archives.

then at least provide links to the relevant postings in the archives.
The problem lies with the fact that certificates are being subtly being
presented as the equivalent to certification. Why else do we see folks
putting the certificate initials behind their names? In the past I took a
year-long night school course in paralegal studies. but I don't put the
initials behind my name since i only received a certificate and not a
certification.

this brings up something else, what goes behind a name and in what order. In
the UK there is a certain order for what gets put behind someones name and
there is a certain order too. and woe betide someone who gets the order
wrong. that said I've always thought the order in this country should be
something like this
Name degree, certification
the degrees normally put behind a name in this country are professional type
degrees at the doctorate level so we see PhD, MD, DDS, DO, etc
as to Certifications I've followed the convention that the more difficult
certification gets listed first so that CRM goes before CA (6 exams vs 1)
and if someone happened to have a CPA then it would be CPA, CRM CA. Others
follow the convention of when the certification was achieved so that if you
earned the CA designation first then the CRM you would see CA CRM. and since
at least one recent job posting required a forklift drivers
certification/license should that be listed behind a name?

anyway getting down off my soapbox

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va