From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:11:37 -0500
On Jan 23, 2008, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From:    "Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Outstanding Commentary from Larry Medina
>
> Larry has done a great job of responding to the Computerworld article.
> Entitled "On the Mark: Sharks hungry for IT Staffers..... For those
> who
> no longer have the links, here first is the link to the original
> "article" from Mark Hall:
>
> =20
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?
> command=3DviewArticleBasic=
> &
> taxonomyName=3Dsecurity&articleId=3D311063&taxonomyId=3D17&intsrc=3Dkc
> _fe=
> at
>
> Now, here is Larry's commentary - right on point:
>
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/
> hungry_for_it_staffers_hire_rims_to_get_t
> he_job_done#comment-81559
>
> Thanks for taking up the cause here, Larry.... and for doing such a
> great job of it!

If the members of ARMA and this Listserv really want to grow the
respect for this industry and show exactly where we fit then more
than just few people should be responding to these types of articles
and Blogs.

When you force one or two people to carry your water for you, then
you lose impact.

No matter how important the cause, if one or two people make all the
replies that person comes across as a fanatic. (Read Don Saklad.  He
has a point but this group has tuned him out.) His issue is not our
issue but I can tell you, I am keeping a close eye on those Boston
Library folk from now on!!  HIs passion instilled into 50 to 100 on
this List could change the world.  The legislation out there backs
our position so lets communicate that we are out there.

When I was posting about the drastic changes to the allowable
compartment size in NFPA 232, some saw my point, but many just tuned
me out.  Before the changes to NFPA 232, the industry saw fire like
the Brambles fire where 250,000 boxes burned, but 750,000 did not in
the same facility.

Just recently we saw a fire burn 1,800,000 boxes.  But that is okay,
because now the code was changed.

I would suggest that if anybody replies to an article and they think
it serves our industry, post a link on the Listserv and request
others to post to the article.  Soon Editors will be seeking out RM's
for their opinions and no one like to be made to look like a fool.
Our goal would be to make this Listserv an add on to the Wikipedia
approach and have ARMA become more well known in the corporate board
room and the Data Center as records reside more and more in digital
format.

What Larry and Peter and other here are doing is great!

Does anyone want to talk about fires..........????    Okay, Okay, I
can take a hint!

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134