From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:42:58 -0700
Ok, I got sucked into this screaming, kicking etc....but seriously I did
read this article:

RE: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/business/10metrics
HTML?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Pushing Paper Out the Door
By HANNAH FAIRFIELD
Published: February 10, 2008

EXERPTS:

Paper is no longer the master copy; the digital version is,” says Brewster
Kahle, the founder and director of the Internet Archive, a nonprofit digital
library. “Paper has been dealt a complete deathblow. When was the last time
you saw a telephone book?”

Worried that you won’t be able to find what you need if it’s digital? That’s
generally not a problem. Most scans can immediately be turned into
text-searchable documents, so the information is just a few keystrokes away.

Some people prefer to bypass the purchase of a scanner and instead farm out
the scanning — to India, where it can be done on the cheap…..for about 40
cents a page.

“Say I’m writing an essay on Edward III. A quick input of the term in Google
Desktop and I’m presented with everything I have on the subject,” Mr.
Burdock wrote in an e-mail message, which had a note at the bottom asking
the recipient to consider the environment before printing. “This is a
massive time saver when compared to manual searching and sifting.”

“Once the books are all scanned and backed up on several hard drives, I’ll
never have to worry about the shed roof leaking and ruining them,” he says.
“I’ve preserved them forever if I put them on the computer.”

OMG - Will the myths never end??? This type of article just makes my RM
bones shake!!!! Please assure we are not not dooooomed.

"Problems are just opportunities in work clothes!"

Janie Wait

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President
Director of Marketing