From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:53:21 -0400
When I was working on a project to implement RIM for a Southwestern City
in the mid-1980's, we began with the usual "search and rescue" task to
find anything and everything that may be a record.  The City Hall was in
an old high school and there were a number of locked closets for which
no one had keys.  A little background - the City was the official
address for the labs working on the Manhattan Project during WWII.  All
documents with any reference to the labs (such as City Council Minutes)
were accessioned by the Atomic Energy Commission in the early 1950's and
hauled off to Washington D.C.

During the RIM project time period, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management
announced it was trading some (now) very valuable land within the City
limits for land adjacent to a National Forest.  Folks with long memories
in the City swore the land in question had not been given or sold to the
U.S. BLM, but had only been loaned for use as a military hospital during
WWII.  Unfortunately, the City council Minutes approving the "loan"
could not be found by the Feds amongst the AEC records.  Coincidently,
shortly after the BLM news hit the media, one of the mystery closets was
breached (by a very competent locksmith) and we found several boxes of
old audit reports.  Included were audit reports from WWII which showed
the land had been loaned not given or sold.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division