From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:48:09 -0400
My last project with Yale University was to appraise, process and
inventory the collection of archival materials held by the Athletics Dept.
From the planning stages through the project itself, the Athletic dept's
de facto archivist, formerly a shoe salesman, with a hot temper and a
heart condition, tried to sabotage me and the project time and again. He
routinely hid materials, lost the key to the room, relocated materials
from one place to another, and snorted and grunted like a bull in a
bullring whenever we encroached on "his" space...all to prevent my team
from recording what actually comprised the archival collection. Possibly
thinking his job was in jeopardy, he soon accosted my assistant and me and
a few days later shouted epithets at an intern and me. This prompted a
restraining order where he had to vacate the premises during the morning
hours while we packed up the archives.

The restraining order had the great effect of letting us pack everything
and not just what the "archivist" said was OK to take away (mostly Yale
publications like class books and event programs). Going through the
forbidden nooks and crannies, we found a treasure trove of Yale
memorabilia. I uncovered such things as original motion photographs by
Muybridge, and materials, often with signatures, of famous graduates and
visitors including the Geo. Bushes (41 & 43), Babe Ruth, Heisman trophy
winners Larry Kelley and Clint Frank ('36 & '37) and others. The director
and his staff were astonished to find out how much was squirreled away and
not recorded. In particular, the director's assistant was searching high
and low for the Bush materials (I think one of them was making a reunion
visit and they wanted to display the artifacts) and could not find them.
She knew the "archivist" had it as she had to ask Bush 41 for a second
signed photo (pictured with Ruth) since the first went missing. The
"archivist" claimed he never saw or had them. I found the missing
materials hidden behind old lacrosse sticks where he also had some
personal items (like a photo of his mother in nurse uniform). He claimed
innocence, but it was pretty clear that he was stashing the materials,
probably with the intention of shipping it to his son (he had done this
several times before and was caught...but not fired and not forced to
return the items either...go figure).

Stephen Cohen
Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
27-01 Queens Plaza North
Long Island City NY 11101
212-578-2373

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.