From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:15:05 -0600
What Pilar said. :)

I'd also note that unless I seriously missed something in the windings of
the thread, I'm pretty sure I caught us going full circle from "Everything
IS a record" to "Not EVERYTHING is a record".

My tuppence is what others have already said better:
1. Everything could potentially be a record, depending on its content and
value to the organization
2. But everything is NOT a record, because some things DON'T have value to
the organization or are of such little or transitory value as to not make it
worth the effort. Like these messages, which are valuable to us but would
probably not be retained as records by any organization (maybe I would
retain my posts, Pilar would retain hers, but I wouldn't retain her posts
*as records*).
3. The R(I)M program exists to distinguish #2 from #1 so that scarce
resources can be spent on things of value to the organization rather than
those that aren't.
4. When litigation commences or is anticipated, the threshold is a) it is
responsive and b) it exists. Document, record, information, pipe, doesn't
matter. If it's responsive and exists - or should (see #3 above) - it is
germane.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins