From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 06:28:21 -0700
> NPR: Computing In The Cloud: Who Owns Your Files?, by Laura Sydell
> </templates/story/story.php?storyId=2101272>
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93841182
>
> "Do you have a Yahoo e-mail account? Maybe a Gmail account? Do you put up
> pictures on Flickr? Perhaps you've started keeping your schedule online. If
> so, then you are using cloud computing - that's what tech companies call it
> when people work and store information on the Internet."

Yep, people weren't buying into the lingo of "SaaS" or "Web 2.0" so they
employed another marketing firm to come up with a new buzzword and started
pushing "cloud computing"... gimme a break, it's just another major risk to
manage and another attempt for the IT vendor community to try and prove
"anything you can do we can do better".

The part that gets me is how they try to convince people that it's a better
solution in the event of a disaster- in the case of a 9/11 type tragedy,
maybe... but in the event of a major earthquake or a huge regional disaster
like Katrina, no.  The communications networks aren't proven to be robust
enough to handle the traffic of a large number of major companies all
attempting to access huge repositories of information simultaneously.  And A
RAID, or SAN or NAS can only spin up so fast and can't access multiple
sectors at the same time.

I'm okay with my g-mail, yahoo or other non-mission critical repository
being "out there" but I don't have plans any time soon to see business data
I'm responsible for in Xanadu.  (no, not the movie...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Xanadu)

Larry

--
Larry Medina