From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 07:38:37 -0700
I am not speaking for the ARMA Board since I am no longer on the ARMA
Board. I fully expect to see something official from Doug Allen or John
Frost In the next day or so.

The delay in seeking candidates
for the ARMA Board is due to the Board's consideration of a
restructuring plan for the Board's governance. There are a number of
options under consideration and some of these plans would have resulted
in changes to terms and roles. So rather than make a call for
candidates under the present structure and then have to tell the
candidates that the rules have changed (thus causing some issues with
people's expectations) or having to wait one additional year (i.e.
until the 2009 election -- or for candidates taking office in 2010),
the Board decided to defer the process slightly until the way forward
was known. I would expect that Doug or John can give those who are
interested a full briefing on the current status and plans.

One
of the frustrating aspects of the ARMA election process is the length
of the process (although the amount of time in the current process
allows for some flexibility in making modifications without unduly
delaying the changes). I had to make a decision about running nearly a
full year prior to taking office. As a candidate, you then appear at
Conference in the Candidate Forum, perhaps three months before the
election. Then you have four or five months from when the election
results are known until you take office. Lots of things can change in
the time period and I am surprised that ARMA has not had more
candidates drop out during the process. In addition, with only 10 to
15% of the membership voting, it often seems like much ado for little
in the way of member engagement.

In the Spring, I had drafted a
proposal to tighten up the election cycle. Candidates would be
solicited in the Summer, the election would take place at Conference,
and candidates would take office in January, moving the Board to a
calendar year cycle. I'm not certain if that proposal is still under
consideration or not, but the complexity of adjusting current terms and
Board processes would be substantial and it would only be fair to this
year's candidates to fully inform them about term changes (which could
either be shortened by six month or lengthened by six months depending
upon how the plan would be adopted).

That's my perspective and I expect that someone will post something more "official" shortly.

 Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."