From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:44:22 -0500
Depends on how you define the term "vital" within your organization.

In my organization, a vital record is defined as a record deemed
essential to reconstruct and/or continue operations of the organization
or preserve its rights.  This is particularly important in the event of
a disaster or disruption to our operation.  The fact that they are vital
does not also mean that they are permanent.  In fact, I wouldn't want to
permanently preserve all vital records in my organization because, in my
industry, most of my vital records have a short lifespan and even
shorter typical user periods (relative to other industries).

If you were to pose the question to some government entities, they would
probably tell you that vital records are records of of life kept by the
government, including certificates of birth, marriage, death,
stillbirth, etc.  Those records tend to be permanent and, in that
context, you probably would never destroy any of that information.