From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:54:57 -0400
Sandra Broady-Rudd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>However, the data architect's argue
>that one important function of the data warehouse is to warehouse data
>long-term providing historical data for modeling, relationship
>management, etc. I would argue that the business function of the data
>then has changed and it would be classified as a different record series
>that better fits modeling, etc.
>
>What do y'all think?

Hmmm...

I'd discuss this with your legal counsel.  Irrespective of how you
categorize it or if it moves to a new series, the data remains in the system
and in a data request, it is still discoverable.  So, although "they" argue
what it's purpose is, you are correctly stating that it is serving a
different business purpose.

Someone needs to decide what the level of risk is associated with retaining
it beyond it's existing required retention for this ancillary use and if
they determine it has a secondary business purpose, decide on a retention
period for it.

Larry