From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:12:19 -0400
Cunningham, Ray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In a discussion this a.m. with some colleagues the concept of the Data
>Warehouse (DW) came up and its relationship to RIM practices. How do you
>manage the DW in your RIM program?  What is the relationship of the Data
>Warehouse to recordkeeping?
>

>A theoretical discussion for Wednesday.

Ray-

This discussion comes up periodically and there are differing schools of
thought on it.  Most past discussions have addressed the retention period of
a database and/or how and when to capture a 'living dataset'.   An example
that is regularly raising issues is the data associated with a CRM application.

In this instance, there are no independent records that exist elsewhere,
because the data is gathered directly through an interface, or populated via
an web-based input form.  The forms (as they are completed) are not captured
individually, but rather the content is extracted and entered into a
database (or 'data warehouse', as you've proposed here).

Other instances we're seeing now include web based employment applications,
where a prospective employee completes a 'virtual application' and the data
entered is then collected into a database (table) and is searched for
candidates.  Once someone is selected as a successful applicant, most of
these applications are able to gather back together the content from that
"row entry" and re-populate a form and print the information out, but the
data itself is only saved as a single record in the table.

The same is true for some on-line credit, insurance, and home loan
applications which are areas that are even more problematic and it would be
interesting to hear how these industries are dealing with meeting the
regulatory obligations for retention of this information.

I don't think anyone has a concrete answer of how to properly manage the RM
practices related to this type of data across the board, but I think rather
the decisions are made based on the industry segment someone works in and
the regulatory controls placed on managing the information.  It may even get
more granular than that, and depending on the retention requirements for the
type of data in the DW, its handled on an application by application basis.

I can tell you that in a few of the examples I personally work with, we do a
monthly cutoff and assign retention periods to the data at that point.
(Anything submitted/generated during the month of August is captured on
August 31 and retention for all of that information is based on that date)

Larry