From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:08:08 -0400
Hi Tegan....Generally speaking, each organization comes up with their own
naming conventions as each organization is unique.  We used a function
based naming convention when we redid ours about a year ago.  Here are
some of the common record series which we have used and may be common to
all organizations.  Please be aware that our structure includes many other
names which are pertinent to our organization.

Administrative Services
Agreements
Building Maintenance
Communications & Marketing Services
Customer Service
Executive Administration
Financial Services
Fund Raising Programs
HR & Safety Services
Information Technology & Systems
Insurance Related Management
Legislation/Legal Opinions
Records Management

I would suggest that there may me an organization structure put together
at some time by senior management or even a task list which would identify
what your organization does.  For many of the other naming conventions you
may find you have to visit  or call each group.  As our organization is
comprehensive in nature, and I wanted to get it right the first time, this
took us considerable time and may for you.  I allowed each group to
provide input into those naming conventions.  In the long run, they have
to be happy with what is chosen as they will be using and accessing our
content management system.  Overall, this has worked well for us.

Hope this helps!!

John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"