From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:50:29 -0400
I think this issue is only going to become more complex for all of us. I
have my business phone (direct and cell) and email accounts/system, as well
as personal phone (direct and cell) and email accounts/system. Then some of
my clients give me a laptop to use their systems. Suddenly, email systems,
phone messages and information respositories become overlapping in content
and records value. Even when directing family and friends to not use office
contact systems, it still happens. My wife and kids know that if I am on
business travel and do not answer my personal phone, they can call me at the
business phone if they "really-really" need to talk to me. Are those
business or private?

Many executives that I know use one PDA/Phone to interact with both their
organizations, business contacts, and their personal lives. In addition,
many "appropriate use" policies actually allow some level of use of phones
and/or email systems for personal use while at the office, such as an
emergency call to check on an ill relative. Otherwise, even secure
restricted office environments would have to allow personal use cell phones
and email to employees for emergencies - a security nightmare.

So, it may be the politicians (eventually to be government employees) that
eventually set a precedent for public/private behavioral boundaries and
responsibilities. I hope that we can figure our a sense of balance here, or
we will all be wearing ankle bracelets and head-cams so that the public, our
management, and our families will know where we are and exactly what we are
doing 24/7!

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI