From:
don warner saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:32:42 -0400
Research the City Code
scroll down to the lower right link
at
http://www.cityofboston.gov/cityclerk/

Sicut Patribus Sit Deus Nobis.
God Be with Us as He Was with Our Fathers
http://www.universalhub.com/node/6743
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Boston_city_seal.jpg

Civitatis Regimine Donata A.D.1822.
City Status Granted by the Authority of the State
in the Year of Our Lord 1822

Bostonia. Condita A.D. 1630.
Boston, Founded in the Year of Our Lord 1630

Offered by Councillor SAM YOON

CITY OF BOSTON
IN THE YEAR TWO THOUSAND EIGHT

AN ORDINANCE
REGULATING THE BOSTON CITY COUNCIL
MEETING MINUTES

WHEREAS, The City of Boston currently provides, via the City Clerk,
City Council meeting minutes and these records are available to the
public on the internet; and

WHEREAS, The Open Meeting Law and Public Records Law is meant to
cultivate public dialogue on governmental action and ensures this by
imposing minimal standards for meeting minute content; and

WHEREAS, The City already meets these record standards; however, we
should go beyond the minimum standards and make our City Council
minutes not only publicly available, but more understandable; and

WHEREAS, Increasing the readability of our Council meeting minutes
will foster public understanding and involvement in local government;
NOW, THEREFORE

Be it ordained by the City of Boston, as follows that the City of
Boston Code be amended by adding the following:-

Section 1.
CBC Chapter II is hereby amended by appending the following to 2-10.1
after the first paragraph:-

(a) In addition to keeping records of City Council meetings pursuant
to M.G.L. c. 39, s. 23B, M.G.L. c. 66, s. 5A, and 950 CMR 32.00, the
City Clerk shall make comprehensible City Council minutes.

For purposes of this subsection only "comprehensible City Council
minutes" means a record of a City Council meeting translated from
parliamentary procedure wording into plain language, including a brief
summary of each topic discussed and/or all votes or formal decisions
ma\
de during the meeting.

Under no circumstances shall the comprehensible City Council minutes
include the substance of debates by and among the members of the City
Council pursuant to chapter 447 of the Acts of 1947.

The City Clerk shall make the comprehensible City Council minutes
electronically accessible on the City's website no later than two
weeks after the meeting in question.

Section 2.
The provisions of these sections will become effective sixty (60) days
after passage.