From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:41:26 -0400
Eric--

As a former university archivist/records manager, I would recommend
meeting with a few local/regional vendors, and possibly a national vendor.
Does DePaul, or one of its schools/colleges/departments already have a
contract with a storage vendor? Where I worked, there was one pre-existing
agreement with the vendor, but their terms were inflexible and did not
meet our needs, as we did not have as high a level of shredding but would
have been billed at the higher level.

You may also want to consider keeping the storage and shredding separate,
though there are pluses and minuses with each. When I contracted with a
shredding vendor, we had the records ready for disposition brought to our
personally oversaw the actual shredding or the transfer to the shred truck
for eventual destruction at their site. With large dispositions (more than
35 boxes), the vendor would go directly to our warehouse. (This may sound
strange but the warehouse management was very picky about 3rd party trucks
at their loading dock since the warehouse held oodles of valuable archival
materials.)

Stephen Cohen | Records Manager | MetLife \ Legal Affairs | T 212-578-2373

So, with that in mind, if you could email me directly and let me know
whether you use a nation-wide vendor or a local vendor, who you use,
what criteria lead you to choose them, and what your experience has been
like with them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Erin Vandenberg
Director of Records Management
Office of the Secretary
DePaul University
55 E Jackson, Suite 850
Chicago, IL 60604
312-362-7941

http://policies.depaul.edu/RMIS/main.html

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.