From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:59:27 -0600
My definition is not troll the mythical creature but rather one who trolls,
as Ginny notes below, but specifically with the connotation of evil vendors
or consultants who join listservs and other forums for the express purpose
of flogging their wares. They are often characterized by posting mildly
useful to completely off-topic posts that culminate in an extensive
discussion of why they are the best solution for every problem including
email management, peeling paint, and the heartbreak of psoriasis.

Almost all of the vendors on the list are acutely aware of this concept and
if anything go out of their way to ensure that they are not perceived as
such. And many of them you don't even know are vendors unless you see them
at ARMA, a local chapter meeting, etc. which is probably not so bad a thing.
:)

So no, I don't think Ginny is a troll in the mythical sense nor was she
trolling in discussing her research for the AIEF, which is completely
educational in nature and will be available for free from the AIEF website
upon completion. My posting about my for-profit training courses could be
considered a troll, which is why I don't post about them often and why I try
to do it more in the sense of "there's some stuff out there, I'm a bit
biased but I think it's pretty useful, if you want details let me know". I
hope I have a light enough touch and provide enough other value that the
list will indulge me very rarely.

Regards,

Jesse "not living under a bridge and collecting tolls type of troll" Wilkins