From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:26:04 -0400
Re:"The gap between establishing a system of controls to serve a business
purpose and control costs, and the establishment of controls purely to meet
increasingly complex legal demands begins to widen. This makes the cost
justification of such control systems more difficult, and tends to lead to
an understandable unwillingness to fund such systems with the idea that "it
will never happen to us". Then "it" happens and we have the kind of "gotcha"
moments we increasingly see occurring."

I agree. RMs are now having a major challenge professionally and on projects
retaining control of the Retention issues and systems. Many times, I have
watched ERM software projects have their funds diverted to email archiving
systems or e-discovery software with no really defined payback, even when I
have testimony from their own internal auditors saying the organization's
personnel are not following existing RM policies. (I guess they are getting
the new technology so employees can do whatever they want with it.)

The three most fundamental reasons for RM retention of records are
OPERATIONAL (including "administrative"), regulatory, and legal reasons.
(Archvists will add "historical".) The last three are OVERHEAD and do not
add value to the organization's bottom line. (Now the lawyers jump up with
allegations that reducing business risk is an added value, blah, blah, blah.
And the regulators say that without their approval the products will not be
allowed in the marketplace, or whatever. Simply - threats.). Anyway, the
costs for "recordkeeping" for non-operational reasons increase with little
or no quantifiable payback related to the actual products produced. But, try
telling an organization's chief legal counsel they do not add real value to
the business processes (making widgets) and see how long you stay on the
project!

Legal and Regulatory reasons for records retention are "unfunded mandates"
by government and will only add increasing costs to business and personal
activities. It seems to me that if we do not get a way to model and cost out
any benefits from these reasons for retention other than vague adverse
consequences, we can not really predict the costs of recordkeeping.

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI
Electronic Records Management