From:
"Starck, Brian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:56:51 -0600
Good questions.  I'm in the process of re-writing our retention schedule
now and looking at the idea of taking a big bucket approach.  Our
organization falls under the state archivist so they would have to
approve the new schedule.  I have prepared a schedule that matches the
special districts schedule just in case.

However, I can see some real benefits for companies or organizations
that have limited resources and rely on non-RIM experts to handle their
records on a daily basis.  If we give them limited options for retention
periods (3 years, 6 years, 10 years, etc) AND clearly define what types
of documents fall into these categories, it should make disposition
easier.  The training of employees and disposition of documents should
always be overseen by the records management department with audits to
make sure that people aren't stuffing everything into the 3 year bucket.
:-)

It's an interesting concept that I'm just starting to investigate.
There is a session at ARMA International in Las Vegas on this very
topic.  It's on my "must attend" list.  Honestly the thought of "Big
Buckets" makes me a little nervous. I might be more comfortable with
"Medium" sized buckets.  But that's just me....

Brian Starck, CRM
Document Control Manager
Regional Transportation District