From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:00:46 -0500
I've felt for a very long time that we can consolidate our "buckets" for
retention, but that limiting those buckets artificially to a very small
number is NOT apt to work for today's complex organizations.  While big
buckets makes for great conversation...... we must recognize that
regulations that we face at federal and state levels are quite granular
in nature, and often don't allow those in highly regulated industries to
focus on a highly limited set of buckets.

Given that, consolidation does make sense.  The old practice of
developing custom classifications of records series on a
department-by-department basis does not make much sense.

Bill's question/point is quite well taken...... and not being a
"bucketeer", I can say this....that what many of us in RIM see as a big
bucket approach, many vendors in the Storage Network space see as still
being far too detailed.  They'd like 3 or 4 buckets tops.....Of course,
those who advocate that approach tend to be vendors, and are frequently
those who are not particularly well acquainted with the granularity of
regulatory approaches taken by government agencies.

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+