From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:46:05 -0500
Hey, Jesse, it's find to disagree with me...especially in areas like
this where I've had 'hands-on' experience.  I know that there is always
an option to retain records for longer periods of time.  However, such
longer retentions play right into risk management calculations that are
based on individual company judgments.  We are not in disagreement over
the fact that organizations typically choose the longer of the time
periods represented by legal requirement/audit need or business
requirement.  Again, however, decisions to retain information for longer
periods of time fall into the area of risk management.

I've actually spoken with some of those who work in highly regulated
environments where they have consolidated from hundreds or 1,000+
records series down to ...say 120 - 150.  In my view, that's rational
and makes sense.  It's the effort of some to minimize the number of
buckets at the expense of everything else to which I do and would
continue to object.

Good discussion, Jesse..... and don't worry about disagreeing.... ;-)
I've not been reluctant to disagree with you at times....  We're cool on
that!

Doug Allen, CRM, CDIA+