From:
Trudy M Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:31:01 EDT
Tyler,
Great link!  Thanks for the humor.

I am going to just make a comment and not a treatise.

My personal feeling is that "Buckets" are the easy way out of a situation
that does require time, effort, research, thought and compiliance.  This
simplicity is, in my mind, the first step in a backdoor approach to organizing
data, information, documents, and such.  Without knowledge,however,of  records
retention requirements and the associated research you can not just  place things
in 3+, 7+, 10+ buckets.  You do eventually have to organize  what is in the
bucket. (You all forgot the 5+ year bucket.)

Over the past years in preparing functional retention schedules, I have
always had the support of all involved and in explaining the reasoning in "8th
grade" level language the people involved at all levels of the enterprise "got
it".  To my mind functional retention schedules make absolute sense to a  lot
of other people.

Buckets as just big receptecals for holding information.  Yes, today,  with
all of the outstanding technology for searching this metthod might seem  simple
and logical. But when the power goes out and the documents are spread  across
the street, a Bucket is to no avail. But a well organized and planned
functional system  works everytime.

Trudy M.  Phillips
File Management, LLC
"Bringing Order  Out of Chaos"
8440 Lanewood Circle
Leeds, AL 35094
Office:  205/699-8571   Fax: 205/699-3278