From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:17:00 -0700
On 9/19/08, Carolyn Mariani <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> When we rolled out our e-mail retention policy 2 years ago, we took away the
> ability for any employee to create PSTs.  They are only allowed for data
> collection under a litigation hold.
At my previous employer in Houston we were looking at locking down
employee's computers and removing any ability to create PSTs period.
All messages would be routed to a third party provider, who would
store and manage employee messages.

The messages would be encrypted ensuring that they could only be
searched and read by authorized users.  Our both the legal and IT
departments loved the concept because they needed to search only one
location (repository) for messages needed in the event of litigation.

I'm not sure this is the perfect solution in getting control of
e-mail.  I know of a few companies taking this approach.

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Orange County, CA