From:
Luciana Duranti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:41:35 -0700
And--I would add--the Canadian standard entitled "Electronic Records as
Documentary Evidence", issued by the Canadian Standards Board in 2005. It
is referred to as CAN/CGSB-72.34-2005.

Luciana

At 10:23 AM 9/26/2008, you wrote:
>Joan,
>
>Depending on how Canadian law views original e-file format and its
>relationship to paper, this may not be sufficient.
>
>Here in the states, case law has brought this issue into sharp relief, and
>it is still being interpreted.  The original electronic format in many cases
>is the only acceptable one for certain legal purposes, including archival
>ones.  You should check carefully your local provincial and federal
>legislation as well as pending legal challenges before investing too  much
>in this policy.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>A.S.Elizabeth Fairfax
>Island County Records and Information Management Program
>e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>x5569

Dr. Luciana Duranti
Chair and Professor, Archival Studies
Director, InterPARES Project <www.interpares.org>
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies <www.slais.ubc.ca>
The University of British Columbia
Suite 470, Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
1961 East Mall
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z1
Tel. 604/822-2587
FAX 604/822-6006