From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:12:20 -0600
Here is an interesting topic. A fellow record center owner called to ask if
I allowed cell phones in my facility. He had an inquiry by a potential
client who asked specifically if they allowed cell phones in the building.
They were concerned about the potential security breach of an employee using
the picture taking ability of a cell phone to take an image of a
confidential document and sending it to an unauthorized person.   I have to
admit it just never crossed my mind until now!

We have dealt with all sorts of security issues on this listerv from
unauthorized copying of documents to jump drives, cd and dvd writing ability
for the same security reasons. Has anyone come across this issue in their
businesses? It stands to reason if a commercial record center should be
concerned, then any one of us who has access to, let alone responsibility
for, confidential information in our businesses would share the same
concerns.

Cell phones have become so prevalent in our society over such a short period
of time I don't think we have had a chance to address all the concerns that
come with the new technologies that being integrated with them.

I felt I had no choice but to mandate a cell phone free environment in my
service bureau once the concern was raised but I am still wondering if I
missed some discussion regarding this issue in past listserv threads.

Thanks you advance for your time in thinking this through with me!

Respectfully,

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President
Director of Marketing