From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:48:49 -0700
So I think there are two issues here -- cell phone use by employees and cell phone use by visitors. The big issue is that virtually all cell phones have still and video capture functionality these days.

On the employee issue, I would suggest that it could be a concern as you describe. Arguably, if you have multifunction devices (printer / copy / fax / scan / email) in your facility, it is an equal issue, particularly if those devices are not monitored in any fashion (many CRCs will have scan and email capable devices for sending copies of documents to customers). The challenge is that you will likely issue cell phones to your drivers and since most cell phones have cameras, that may be a problem as well, once the truck is on the road away from the facility. A particular problem in this day and age with not allowing employees to have cell phones on the job is that you may take away the employee's ability to be in contact with family members during the work day. That is good and bad in that you can potentially address a productivity problem with employees who overuse their personal phones on the job (personally, I'd like to know how many minutes my
 mailman has because he is always on the phone when I see him). The bad is that you may eliminate the ability of a family member to contact one of your employees in an emergency (obviously, there are other ways for that contact to be made in a genuine emergency).

As a customer, would I feel better about a facility that eliminated employee cell phones? Perhaps. If it meant less distracted employees and meaningfully limited the ability for sensitive information to be copied inappropriately, yes, it would make me feel better.

On the visitor issue, there is likely less risk exposure from cameras as long as the visitors are properly supervised while in the warehouse. That means that tour groups stick together and people doing audits are contained to a specific area. The biggest risk to a CRC from cameras by visitors would be competitors finding out who your customers are or the potential for a security breach by someone photographing security controls.

We generally do not prohibit cell phones from our buildings (after all, we make them), but we do prohibit use of "recording equipment" in certain areas. Broadly, we do prohibit any photography without permission on company property. In particularly sensitive areas, employees and visitors may be required to check any device with the capability to make a recording.
 Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."