From:
"mckinney, susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:14:25 -0500
As many of you know, I was a key player in the dissolution of the
ISG/IAC's.  The reason was that they weren't working and ARMA
International was spending time and energy on a program that benefitted
very few people.  There are so many reasons that the program didn't work
as well for some as others, and I'm not going to get into all of them
now.  Let me just say that we looked long and hard at the program, tried
to think of a way to make it work for everyone and because of the
complexities of what people wanted and expected, decided that it just
couldn't be done without sacrificing other opportunities.

With everything we expect - and receive - from ARMA, there has to be a
priority list of some sort.  I'm not sure I'd put this one very high -
there is obviously a networking opportunity online through ARMA which
few people, including me, use.

I guess, in my mind, I think that sometimes it's up to us as
professionals to do some of the work ourselves to create our own
networks and find solutions to our needs.  I'm willing to do that, using
this listserv as a conduit and once it's set up, word quickly spreads.
Look at how many people are on this listserv, which was created from a
group of educational RIM folks to be independent of ARMA.  I think
that's a good thing.

I don't expect ARMA to meet every one of my needs as a professional -
they can't do it with a membership of over 11,000.  So, when I want
something that isn't being provided, I'm happy to just go do it myself
and then we'll see where it goes.  Sometimes it's good, sometimes not so
much.  I would rather have ARMA focusing on those things I can't do by
myself - the competencies, for example.

I'll see folks in Vegas - safe travels to everyone.

Susan

Susan McKinney, CRM
Director, Records & Information Management
University of Minnesota
502 Morrill Hall
100 Church St. SE
Minneapolis, MN  55455