From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:09:20 -0600
Hi all, and with apologies for cross-posting,

Steve Bailey has posted a "Records Management 2.0 Manifesto" and is asking
for feedback. Here is the manifesto:

1. I recognize that the world of information culture is changing fast and
that records management needs to respond positively to these changes to
provide systems, policies, advice and services that are helpful to my
organization, my teams and my colleagues.

2. I will educate myself about the information culture of my users and look
for ways to incorporate what I learn into the records management solutions
we offer.

3. I will let go of previous practices if there is a better way to do things
now and will actively work towards the elaboration and formulation of new
principles and practices.

4. Whilst I recognize the need for final assured quality in record-keeping
systems this should not inhibit constant experimentation, innovation and
development.

5. I will help users to take advantage of the Web2.0 services they need to
deliver the agreed benefits to our organization.

6. I will avoid requiring users to see things in records management terms
but, rather, will shape services to reflect users' preferences and
expectations.

7. I recognize that records management does not have all the answers and
will work openly, collaboratively and constructively with other IM and IT
professionals in tackling the issues we face.

8. I recognize that it is not easy for users to keep records and will
endeavor to develop automated and embedded RM solutions so as not to add
unnecessary burdens to their working life.

9. I will work to improve the organization's capability of keeping and
understanding its records so far as is possible, whilst recognizing that we
will never have perfect solutions for capturing and managing our records.

10. I will, at all times, strive to maintain a balance between the needs of
my users and the legal, regulatory and operational requirements of my
organization.

11. I recognize that although technology moves quickly, organizations often
change slowly and will work to expedite our responsiveness to change,
whatever its pace.

12. I will strive to deliver a service both users and management can trust
and that is transparent and open to all stakeholders.

The post and original links can be found at
http://rmfuturewatch.blogspot.com/2008/10/records-managers-20-manifesto.html
. If you want to comment you can either comment directly at the blog post;
forward your comments to me with or without attribution and I will forward
them; or comment to Steve directly at [log in to unmask]

He has also set up a social network for RM 2.0 on Ning, which can be found
at http://recordsmanagement2.ning.com/.

Thoughts?

Jesse Wilkins