From:
John Milligan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:57:07 -0700
ARMA Gaithersburg Chapter November 2008 Meeting
http://www.armamar.org/gmd/events.htm

“Goal Setting for RIM Programs – Inherent Enterprise-level Tensions”
Marcel Bryar, Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Fannie Mae

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 -Networking 6:00 PM; Dinner 6:30 PM; Program 7:30 PM
Ri Ra Irish Pub -4931 Elm Street, Bethesda, MD 20814,

Program: Records managers want to save the necessary and appropriate records and destroy the rest. Compliance managers want to have all the documentation at their fingertips that they might need to demonstrate compliance to their regulators. Attorneys want to destroy anything that could hurt in a litigation – and keep everything that could help. As our world becomes more and more information intensive and information driven, what to do with the information we create, receive, distribute, and need can be overwhelming. Articulating business needs, compliance and litigation concerns, and storage and efficiency issues is a critical first step. Collaboratively setting goals to meet these requirements is what sets apart the successful programs and companies from those who face millions of dollars of e-discovery processing costs. This session will discuss the inherent tensions in managing information from the various perspectives, responsibilities, and
 experiences of different parts of any given organization. Planning is the most important step – but planning is frequently seen as too time-consuming. Our speaker will help us explore the dangers we face when we don’t take the time to plan.

Speaker: Marcel Bryar, Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Fannie Mae, has a juris doctor from Yale Law School. He has been admitted to the bar in Massachusetts and Washington, D.C., and is a member of the Hispanic National Bar Association. Mr. Bryar is a Fannie Mae vice president and deputy general counsel, and serves as the principal counsel for corporate administration, including the company’s Technology and Procurement organizations, and for the company’s Credit Initiatives. Before joining Fannie Mae in July 2000, Bryar was a counsel for Verizon Communications Inc.

Menu: Buffet style with selections as follows: Classic Caesar Salad; Potato Salad O’Brien; Carved Roast Turkey; Roast Atlantic Salmon; Pasta Primavera; Butter and Port Asparagus; Rice Pilaf; Chocolate Mousse Layer Cake; Warm Apple Crisp. Cash Bar will be available.

Cost: Online payment with credit card, available until reservation closing time, $35 @ Online Reservations; payment at the door, cash or check only: $30 for members, $35 non-members, $15 Students (Student ID required).

Reservations: RSVP by 5 PM Monday, November 10 by responding to your E-vite, contacting John Milligan (202-557-6703) or by sending an e-mail to [log in to unmask] No shows and cancellations after 5:00 PM Monday, November 10 will be billed.

Directions: From I-270 South, Take 355 exit to Bethesda and merge into MD 355. From 355 turn right on Elm Street. The restaurant is on the right.