From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 11:02:57 -0600
Erica,

I teach a Records Management class at UT-Arlington in their Continuing Education program and compete with the Gatlin course.  I don't know much about it except that it is a self-directed online course built by a Certified Records Manager.  I can't think of her name, but I would guess she does an excellent job with the material.  I don't know what it counts as a certificate.  I believe the course costs about $1500.

The course I teach is led in a classroom for one night a week, about three hours each class for 10 weeks.  The curriculum is based mainly around the 1996 Robek, Stephens, et al textbook, Information and Records Management.  UT-Arlington originally wanted to title the course "Records Management Certificate" or something similar for the purposes of marketing the class.  The university does give me a certificate to distribute to class members who complete the course.  It is a certificate of completion and I would guess this is what you would get from Gatlin also, certifying that you completed the requirements of the course.  The class I teach costs $450 with a $350 price for members of about seven or eight specified associations including ARMA.  The book runs just over $100 and is will soon be available as a Print on Demand product from the publisher, Glencoe.  They are scanning it for that purpose even as we speak!

If I can be of any further assistance, let me know.