From:
Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:48:02 -0800
Sheila:

Personally, my guide is my experience.  I have learned to go with certain
profiles for specific sets of requirements.  That may also include
transformations to answer different uses.

For example, I always go with 300 dpi TIFF with G4 fax compression for
bitonal paper that may need to be processed for recognition.  300 dpi seems
to have the best OCR results (versus 200 or less) with the least size (G4
compression plus not exceeding 300 dpi).  [I see others advising 75 or 150
dpi, but not that good in my experience].  Image management systems are very
comfortable with this format, and know how to display and annotate it.
However for web display, converting to adobe acrobat format web optimized is
better, since everyone is used to that format and likely has the free viewer
installed.  Acrobat also lets you control security and usage, which tiff
does not.

If you are making images of archival materials, then greater resolution (600
and up) and color are required, plus the avoidance of lossy formats (JPEG).
This can always be transformed into a JPEG for use in documents.

Bernard Chester, CDIA+, ICP, EDP
Principal Consultant
IMERGE Consulting, Pacific Northwest Office
7683 SE 27 Street, #316
Mercer Island, WA, 98040
Office: 206-230-9253; Mobile: 206-979-7389