From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 08:44:41 +1100
Earl

we are just near the end of a one month blitz program to clean up shared and
personal network drives. We looked for suitable tools and found nothing at
any reasonable cost, so had to fall back on very gross measurements of drive
size by nominal shared drive owner (and of course this is often very out of
date as IT mapping can't always keep up with organisational restructures).
So the stats we did on a "before - during (weekly) and after" basis were
necessarily fudged and blurred to get them to show Divisional level results.

The software we ended up using is TreeSize Professional

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

which for a few hundred dollars gave us basic stats, but it was a lot of
work behind the scenes to compile the stats, maybe one FTE for a few weeks
(we have 4,000 staff in (currently) 9 divisions and 35 or so offices).

All a bit crude but we exploited inter-divisional jealousy to promote
competition. Overall in one month we cut back network storage 14%, with some
divisions achieving 40%. AND a lot of business stuff was moved from personal
drives to shared drives, so as corporate records manager I'm much happier.

Now to do the EDMS and really sort it all out!

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.