From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:14:06 -0600
I use a personal interview process myself and have a fun "mapping"
session complete with fun, candy, prizes, and thank you notes.  In many
cases, we have found opportunities for business process improvements and
cost savings.  It also gives the employees a forum in which to air ideas
or "points of pain" without repercussions.  We also document future IT
opportunities where we can't ease our pain in the immediate present.  It
was part of the Continuous Quality Improvement program that we adopted a
few years back and the formula really works if you keep the sessions fun
and dynamic.  So much less stressful than nagging departments for
reports.

I do certain areas annually, especially if they are "vital" areas such
as Store Operations, Payroll, Benefits, and Human Resources (key to a
retail organization....you have to sell and pay the people that sell).
Other areas are done less frequently...every two or three years.
Examples of those would be the Mail Room, Shipping, etc.