From:
Stephanie Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:30:14 -0600
Hi from Texas!
Our regulatory agency for RIM is Texas State Library and Archive
Commission (TSLAC). It is written in Texas Statute Gov. Code that each
state agency must have a Records Management Officer, must have a RIM
program and gives guidance on that, most RRS (Records Retention
Schedule) is reviewed by the State Auditor's Office and all RRS are
reviewed and approved by TSLAC. There are many State Records Laws that I
do use when training agency staff. It does help to state law that backs
your program up. By doing that they tend to pay a little more attention,
be more proud of the work they do, realize the importance of the records
they create. I have see a difference.

I too have management support, except when it comes to allocating money
for program improvements. I have not yet found the way to communicate
that to them, except to wait for an incident to occur and use that to
demonstrate the importance of the need and how much it will cost to
prevent this from happening again.

I wish you all the luck.
S~
Stephanie Jones