From:
"Walters, Caroline (cw8de)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:49:09 -0500
Also in Virginia, but worked in North Carolina as an agency records manager and records analyst for the agency which oversees RM in NC - from those experiences I don't see support for records management oversight being a priority for states - it costs money and resources.  Providing basic training, records schedules, advice is about all they can do - they usually don't audit compliance.  Who can blame them, they are usually struggling to keep funding for the few positions they have - and the pay is terrible.

In terms of sell, sell, sell - get use to selling what you do - I take every opportunity I can find to sell records management to my customers (staff, faculty and students at the University) - I believe that good marketing and communication skills should be a requirement for any records manager out there.  I always cover the laws in my presentations/marketing opportunities, but I also try to make people feel that records management will help them do their jobs and can be fun.  Yesterday I used the Records Management Quiz during our open house.  I am the records officer attached to an IT Security/Policy group - so as folks came by for a snack and to see our new office space - I had on my door cards with records management related questions - the answers on the back of each card.  When I asked folks to "play" they said they didn't know much about records management, but after they started answering some of the questions they found out they knew quite a bit.  Most did really well, and many people said it was fun!!  Several told me they learned something they would put into practice right away and that they would attend the training sessions we start in February.

Be creative with how you get people on board - take every opportunity to use your "elevator speech" on records management - and don't bang you head against brick walls.

Good luck

Caroline J. Walters, MA, MLS
University Records Officer/UVA