From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 09:48:30 -0700
Lawrence of Funky Cold Medina..., my advice to Ward was to use CRM study
and prep. materials and techniques to learn RIM, as he is new to the
profession.  I mentioned that preparing for the exams is the best
RIM-specific professional development.  My CRM Project plan includes
acquiring specific study materials, unique study techniques, and
attending RIM conferences and seminars.  I sent that plan to Ward for
him to use to acquire RIM-related knowledge.

Regarding the ICRM...
Yes, the ICRM requires 3 years of broad, professional RIM experience
for those with a bachelor's degree.  Whether one wants to become a CRM
is a personal decision.  Prepping for the exams is excellent
professional development, whether one aspires to become a CRM or not.
That was my advice to Ward.

"And it shouldn't take 3 years to study."  Think again my friend.
Most CRMs I know took 2 to 5 years to obtain their CRM after they
started testing...; and that was after they had been in the profession
for a bare minimum of 3 years; most much longer than that.   Some it
took 10 to 15 years.  Many former candidates never passed all the exams
and eventually gave up.  With electronic testing (and retesting) there
are more exam opportunities now; they test more than twice per year.
That may tend to speed it up for candidates now.  Probably too recent
for the ICRM to have accumulated any stats or trends on it yet.

I have been in the RIM profession 25 years; been a CRM for 15 years;
and I am still studying and attending conferences and seminars; also
good professional development.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 5/18/2009 8:49 AM >>>
>Regarding RIM-related specific education..., I recommend you study
and
>prepare for the certification exams (Institute of Certified Records
>Managers).

Ummm...doesn't it take a minimum of 3 years experience as an RM prior
applying for testing?  And it shouldn't take 3 years to study =)

Larry

the message.