From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:17:21 -0400
I am in line with Peter on this. If there's not much use of them, why go
through the effort to digitize them. Wouldn't it be better to start with
new requests and only scan in those as needed, if at all?

When I worked  as a university archivist, the library asked me to
accession what I recall was about 10 boxes worth of applications and
privilege letters from faculty and officers (usually granting exemptions
to normal access to their researchers). These records dated back at least
40 years and the head of the office insisted that they had some
administrative value, but mostly historical value -- simply because they
were old. (The admin value was never ever explained -- because it
couldn't.) I flatly and politely refused to accession them. In addition to
Peter's reason for not scanning them, I also informed the office that the
university librarian required all circulation records and applications
destroyed after 6 months -- a reaction to the USA PATRIOT Act. These are
records, in my opinion that have a short term value and are generally not
worth the effort and cost to digitize them, at least for the older ones.
Further inquiry found that the Circulation Office maintained dual systems
to handle the paper records while populating the electronic system with
new records. It happened that these older paper records were forgotten in
a basement closet when all the other paper records were destroyed, and
they didn't want to deal with destroying the recently found cache.

The truth is they survived very well without knowing about these 10 boxes
of records and by that proved that the records had no value. While they
did not inquire about scanning them, I would have re-stated what I wrote
above as a reason not to scan them.

Stephen Cohen, Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
1095 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY  10036-6796
212-578-2373

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.