From:
Lisa Cain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:49:46 -0600
My name is Lisa Cain, and I have been the Town Clerk for the Town of New
Castle, Colorado for 13 years. As Town Clerk, I am the records manager
for our municipality. I work with 30 other staff members to serve a
community of approximately 4000.

The town adopted the Colorado Municipal Records Retention Schedule in
2002. We have never had a written process for implementing the schedule
- everyone seemed to be in agreement as to how it would work. The
absence of such a process has finally come back to haunt me. I sent a
notice to another department director months ago that there were records
in storage that were scheduled to be destroyed this year. I requested
his signature of approval on the notice. I've never received the notice
back from the department director. I'll be sending a follow-up notice,
citing the risk of retaining the records, etc.

This thread contains many great examples of issues that ought to be
addressed in a written policy for implementing a retention schedule.

Does the ARMA International Standard "Retention Management for Records
and Information" contain any sample policies of this nature? The
description of it on ARMA International's website indicates that the
Standard's focus is more on creating a retention schedule. With the
shape our budget's in right now, I can't afford to spend town funds on
something that's not on point.

If "Retention Management for Records and Information" does not include
sample policies for implementing a retention schedule, can anyone point
me in the right direction to find one I can adapt for my municipality?

Thank you.

Lisa H. Cain, CMC
Town Clerk
Town of New Castle, Colorado