From:
sasha babin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:21:30 -0700
I can agree that this topic is very interesting.
I can add some thoughts as well.

I work in the Archives and Records Management field from 1977 and  learn some things that many of us are aware off but sometimes it is difficult to follow.

1. The place of RM in organizational chart.
 2. Authority - Does RM is the only body who is responsible for RM, or RM deals on behalf of Records Committee of the organization: Legal / Finance / HR / and... Audit, IT, Risk Management.
2.A Who is the body issued and approved all documents Related to RM?
2.B How often the Rec Com has discussion and does Senior Management support RM?
3. Destruction forms - are they fall under General Institutional Policies and Procedures related to "Request for Information" time frame?

It Happened to me not one time when the division/department ... didn't want to approve destruction form because ..."May be we will need them -  God only knows"
My answer it that situation was that I completely agree and support their decision, I only need letter from them that the documents are need for future ....' needs, but from this minute the department would be responsible for:
 - possible not following institutional roles and regulations,
 - the department will pay the full cost of keeping the records and processing requests related to those records

Usually, the department's answer was that they need to contact the assigned lawyer to receive the answer.

I agreed and requested to write their thought on destruction form.

As a matter of fact, it took to department no longer than 1-2 weeks to send me back the destruction form with lawyer's letter that approved the destruction of documents , sometimes with some exceptions, that became the point for us, Archives/Records, of future improvement - may be we were not aware off about the changes in that particular department's professional / industrial changes
Regards,

Alex