From:
Julie Colgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:47:25 -0400
Jesse Wilkins wrote: "FB, Twitter, etc. make it much easier to commit those
types of embarrassing and/or career-limiting/ending gaffes because they
[are] used so informally."

One of the reasons I enjoy Twitter is *because* it is so informal.  I think
those who know me would agree that I'm a pretty straight-forward and
yet casual person, so Twitter suits my personality well.  I allow myself to
shed the anxiety of grammatical and spelling perfection typically present in
email and other more formal communications for the satisfaction of just
getting to the point and moving on.  That isn't to say I am flippant
(usually!), just comfortable.

To bring this back to RIM a bit ... one of the concerns I have with Twitter,
in particular, is the potential difficulty around producing tweets during
litigation due to the character limitation.  Assuming you use one of the
various tools available to capture your tweets in the first place, your
typical search terms likely will not be sufficient to hone in on relevant
tweets.  Example: today I tweeted the word "motivate", but it was at the end
of the tweet so I didn't have enough room to write the whole word so instead
I wrote it as "motiv8'.  Another tactic I use frequently is to remove vowels
that can simply be over-read without difficulty in order to shed a character
or two - for example, today I shortened the word "imperative" to
"imperatve".

Just a little food for thought.

Julie

--