From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:04:18 -0700
Ralph, I have been in the RIM business for close to three decades, and developed retention policy for that long for three organizations in differing industries, and different geographical parts of the USA.  I have also counseled RIM folks and trained on these topics for >twenty years in three countries.  Here are the basic retention values used to determine retention policy for each record series:

Operational (administrative)
Fiscal
Legal
Regulatory
Historic (archival)

The retention for any/all records series will be the longest of the above mentioned researched and evaluated retention values.

Legal and regulatory values are not the same.   Legal is general counsel's advice, if any; they take into account considerations for statutes of limitations, and many other legal climate and industry - organization factors.   Regulatory is published federal, state, and sometimes local regulatory agency requirements to retain certain types of information for a minimum period of time.

I hate paper.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 8/28/2009 7:42 AM >>>
The reading I have done says there are only four values for determining the
retention of records. They are:

Legal
fiscal
administrative