From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:12:09 -0400
Yep, I do... thanks for acknowledging me!  A lot of others do as well...
Patrick Cunningham comes to mind http://bit.ly/25ccvK  Important to note
(where provided) is the pedigree of the writer- is the perspective from a
seasoned practitioner or a consultant who lacks demonstrated or practical
experience in the field.

There are a lot of things to consider when you do though, and for that
reason I've started and stopped both professional and personal blogs a few
times.

This post, although more directly related to social media originally,
carries some good advice about blogging in the comments from readers that
you may want to consider http://bit.ly/pXSnu   Another one that I had posted
on IE awhile back was similar in focus (social media and its impact on human
interaction), and received a LOT of great input from readers
http://bit.ly/13LRGP

With your blog being internal and likely focused on the RM practices for the
County, you have a purpose and a selected audience.  The goal should be
"What is it I want them to know, how can I best deliver this message, and
how do I need to construct the information to keep it both informative and
entertaining"

Many blogs are delivering opinion, and lots of writers don't embed citations
to support their statements, so it truly is just opinion.  It may be based
on personal experience, and there may be others that share the opinion, but
that doesn't always make it right for everyone else. Also, it's important to
keep the content "fresh" and pertinent to the target audience.  They won't
come back if the content gets stale, and if it doesn't educate or entertain
them, they'll abandon you.

I have a blog on both Computerworld and Internet Evolution and the thing I
like about those venues is many others have blogs as well... when my content
is no longer fresh, it drops off the front screen and remains in the archive
until someone wants to read it.  With a personal blog account you're the
Lone Ranger, and unless you don't don't have a day job, a family, or a life
=) , you have to find the time to dedicate to keeping it fresh. And people
will only read it once.  If your job is your blog, well, then that's another
story.

So my advice?

Have a series of topics you want to discuss
Have an outline for each successive post you can add to before you post it
Post on some sort of regular schedule
Announce the topic of the next post in the current one
Ask for input and suggestions from readers
Acknowledge them when they provide it, positive OR negative

Larry