From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:00:30 -0400
Larry,

I understand, know, and agree with all of the points you made. Here is what I get when I tell staff that that is what they need to do with their email messages: "I come in every day to 150 emails and get 150 more emails as the day goes on. I don't have time to decide for, and file, every one." Some people are just being lazy, and don't realize that they spend more time filing a paper document than they do an email message. For some people, this is a real fact of their life. Regardless of its validity, it's an argument I run into constantly when trying to get people to file their email messages properly.

And for this very reason of individual email filing unreliability, outside organizations (courts) may not feel you are "complying" with email retention best practices unless you have a corporate, central control of all messages.

EDMS? RMA? People who do not think they have time to hit the "Save As" button sure won't make the time to enter each email into a database system.

So what is an honest records manager to do?

Gary Link, CRM
Pittsburgh, PA

A 'generally accepted recordkeeping practice' for managing e-mail is to
first determine whether the message meets the organizations definition of a
record- if it does, then it should be either removed from the e-mail
application and placed in a record management application (RMA) or 'tagged'
in some manner to allow for further processing.

Larry